Feb 12, 2013

Pinspired Recipe :: Vanilla Salted Chocolate Chip Cookies

vanilla salted chocolate chip cookies

Let me just start by saying: "Hello! Where have these been all my life?!?!" I am no Martha Stewart, especially when it comes to work in the kitchen. I love to dabble here and there, throw some flower around, whisk a little, but when it comes to actual cooking Superman is the master and I a mere apprentice. However, because I am home more I tend to do a little more dabbling than my usual flour sprinkling escapades. Pinterest, of course, has fueled the madness. I found, through Pinterestthis Whipperberry recipe for delicious vanilla salted chocolate chip cookies and decided to take the literal and proverbial stab at it. 

All I have to say is wow! Turns out I have been making cookies the wrong way for as long as I have been making cookies. It's all about creaming the butter and the sugar, let me tell you. All that fluffy deliciousness has been declared as the eighth sin taking up residence in my fridge in the guise of Vanilla Salted Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough. It's whipped butter and sugar bliss. It is oblivion with a side of chocolate chips. More of this dough has been eaten raw than actually baked into cookies; it's sad, but true. So good. It is the perfect balance of sweet, salty, chocolaty heaven. 

Here is my adaption of Whipperberry's adaption of the New York Times recipe. The only changes I made from their recipe was not using any fancy cake flour and swapping 1/4 c. of brown sugar for regular sugar, and these were only made out of necessity. I just didn't have any fancy flour or enough brown sugar so I had to adapt. I bet though, if you use their recipe these cookies would be even better! 

Ingredients:
3 2/3 cups (minus 2 tablespoons) of All-Purpose Flour
1 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoon regular salt
2 1/2 sticks unsalted butter (room temp)
1 cups of brown sugar
1 1/4 cup of sugar
2 large eggs
2 teaspoons of vanilla extract
1 1/4 pounds of bittersweet chocolate
vanilla sea salt

Directions:
In a large bowl mix the the dry ingredients together: flours, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Set dry ingredients aside. In the bowl of your electric mixer cream the butter and sugars together. Mix on high for 5 minutes until the mixture is fluffy. Add the eggs and vanilla then mix on high for 1 more minute. Slowly combine the butter and sugar mixture with the dry ingredients by adding 1/3 c. at a time, mixing only until combined. Add the chocolate chips then place dough in a large storage container. Cover the dough with plastic wrap and place the lid on the storage container. Let dough chill in the refrigerator for at least 24 hours, 72 is even better if you can make it last that long.

When you are ready to bake the cookies, pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees. Prepare your baking sheet with parchment paper or a non-stick cooking mat. Scoop six 2 1/2 ounce dough balls then sprinkle a pinch of the vanilla sea salt on top of the dough. Place in the oven and bake for 14-16 minutes, just until the dough starts to brown on top. When you take the cookie out of the oven it will look slightly underdone, which is good. Let the cookies finish cooking/cooling on the pan and then enjoy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment