Jul 2, 2013

Ritual and Routine


They say to build a routine for your baby as soon as possible. The quicker you establish a time for the daily routine, the quicker you child will adjust to living on that schedule. From my very limited experience, this is so true. I love our little established routine. I know when my baby is really waking up, and when he is just squawking and going to go back to sleep. I know when diapers are usually at their worst. I know when he is ready for naps. I know that the grumpy stage just before bed will only last a handful of minutes. All of this knowing brings me comfort and stability in this hectic job called mommy. 

Sometimes our routine has to be thrown out the window, and luckily my boy is pretty flexible. For the most part he can nap wherever, whenever. He can eat when I eat. These are not always bad days. In fact, the spontaneous days are often the best. There are consequences though, to changing or disregarding the routine. Sometimes, without our routine, baby goes to bed at 10 p.m. and either sleeps way in or is a Super Grump the next day. Without our routine we snack on junk all day instead of three meals and one snack. Without our routine our naps our shorter and so are our tempers. We survive some days without our routine. However, when we get back to it, the schedule and the traditional day, then we both feel better and act happier. 

So here is to the routine, cheers! Ours right now, looks a little like this. 

DAILY GRIND
8:30 Wake up with milk
9:00 Breakfast at the table
9:30 to 12:00 Play, play, play
12:30 Lunch
1:30 Movie and naptime (my favorite time of day)
3:30 to 6:00 Play, play, play
6:30ish Papa comes home
7:00 Dinner
7:30 Bath
8:00 Bedtime routine
8:30 Bed

BEDTIME ROUTINE
New diaper and lotion
Jammies
Three books
Bottle of milk
Airplanes
Prayers
Bed
Lights out


No comments:

Post a Comment