Feb 1, 2013

Friday Morning Breakfast :: Gingersnap Oatmeal


I am still battling a harsh winter cold this Friday morning, which is why I chose something pretty easy for our Friday Morning Breakfast. Oatmeal is a great winter food, especially when you are feeling a bit ill. It will stick to your ribs, in a good way. The only thing I don't like about oatmeal is it can get boring fast, especially since I have been eating it almost all winter. I can only take brown sugar and maple syrup so many times before I want to go Hulk on the pantry. So what can you do to add variety? 

Honestly I love the strawberries and cream as well as the peaches and cream that come in the instant oatmeal variety packs, but I didn't have any on hand. All I have, thanks to the budget, is a huge tub of plain old oatmeal. Not even quick oats! Yeesh. So I have to come up with my own variety with things I already have in the kitchen. It is getting pretty minimal in there people. Sometimes I have bananas, fresh fruit, or even heavy cream. But not so. The end of the month means slim pickins around these parts. Today though, I just happened to discover gingersnaps. 

I unearthed a box of gingersnap cookies from our pantry while I was pulling the oatmeal from the top shelf. I love gingersnaps. I love them hard and crumbling. I love to dip them in milk. I was practically starting to salivate just holding the box and thinking about how much I love them. Naturally then, I ate one on the spot and decided to try adding them to my oatmeal. Turned out it was so easy and so good for this sick little momma.

Ingredients:
4 gingersnap cookies
1 tbsp brown sugar
1/2 apple
1 bowl cooked oatmeal
1/3 c milk

Directions:
I simply prepared my regular bowl of oatmeal with brown sugar according to directions. Then I used a little food processor to grind up the gingersnap cookies. Next I chopped up my apple. While oatmeal was still hot I added the apple and crumbled cookies and finished it off with the milk. Super easy!


No comments:

Post a Comment