Mar 1, 2013

Friday Morning Breakfast :: Baked Cinnamon Bananas on French Toast


I honestly love making French toast. It always makes the house smell fantastic and the wafting aroma takes me right back to my teenhood with my best friend. When we had sleepovers we would usually have Mac N' Cheese for dinner, popcorn during our movie, and then we would usually make French toast for breakfast. We even made green French toast (kinda like green eggs and ham only with French toast). The thing I love about French toast is how difficult it is to ruin. In fact, I learned how to make French toast from an 8 year old girl I was babysitting. She clambered around on the counter getting all the ingredients, pulled down the family's electric hotplate, and made her own French toast all while I watched with wonder and awe. So, yes, French toast and I have a longstanding relationship of friendship, adoration, and awe. Which is why I often resort to magnifying this easy breakfast when I want something tasty. This time I chose baked cinnamon bananas. 

Ever heard of them, baked cinnamon bananas? Because I hadn't until just recently. I know about banana bread and banana splits, but baked bananas had never come across my cooking radar. Well, baked bananas are super easy, especially if you have a toaster oven. Also, it turns out they are particularly delicious. They can be added to your French toast, banana splits, or used as a simple healthy snack if you are interested in that kind of thing. Here is how I did it. 

Ingredients
1 banana
2 tsp lemon juice
2 tsp honey
1/2 tsp cinnamon
2 slices of bread
1 egg
1/4 c milk
more cinnamon

Directions
First peel and slice the banana. Spread slices over a sheet of tinfoil and top with lemon juice, honey, and cinnamon. Bake in the toaster oven on 350 degrees for 10 minutes. While you bake the cinnamon bananas make your French toast. Add egg and milk to a small container and whisk with a fork until blended. Sprinkle mixture with cinnamon and dip both sides of your slice of bread in the mixture. Cook in a greased skillet over medium heat until cooked through. Add cinnamon baked bananas to your French toast and enjoy. I had mine with maple syrup and powdered sugar. So yum!


No comments:

Post a Comment