Mar 29, 2013

Friday Morning Breakfast :: Orange Cream Crepes


I am a crepe gourmet. I honestly love them so, so much and have been making them since the moment I could flip a frying pan. Sadly, for me, that grand accomplishment didn't happen until the 9th grade, but still. I made a batch of crepes for my French class and have been loving on them ever since. Usually I stick with the staples of fresh fruit or sugar and lime juice, but today I needed something a little more substantial. So I skimmed my pantry for items I already had stocked in my kitchen. It equates to very little, I can tell you, but I did have oranges and heavy whipping cream. That pretty much decided it. 

Then I started skimming online to see exactly how I could make an orange whipped cream. There was a super easy recipe on the Sunkist website that I followed. It was fairly easy, but didn't turn out as firm as I wanted. So I made up a regular batch of whipped cream and combined them, which turned out perfect. I had a little too much cream for my crepes, if you know what I mean, so I just am going to save the rest for later. For the crepes, I halfed my own quick crepes recipe, because a full batch would be taking it just a little too far. When done, these orange cream crepes tasted like Spring, which is exactly how I wanted to start off my Easter weekend; light, bright, and full to the brim. 

Orange Whipped Cream Ingredients
2 Tbsp. freshly squeezed Sunkist® orange juice
1 Tbsp. fresh Sunkist® orange zest, chopped
½ cup heavy whipping cream
1 Tbsp. powdered sugar

Directions
Whip cream until soft peaks form. Stir in freshly squeezed Sunkist orange juice, fresh Sunkist orange zest and powdered sugar. Continue whipping until peaks are firm. Refrigerate until needed.

My Quick Crepes Ingredients (again, I used half of this recipe and came out with 4 crepes)
3/4 c. flour 
1 c. buttermilk
1/2 c. milk
2 eggs
1 tbsp oil
1 tsp sugar
1/4 tsp salt

Directions
Mix all ingredients together until you have a fairly runny, smooth batter. Warm a skillet on low-meduim heat. Pour batter and coat the bottom of the pan with a thin layer. Cook until there are no new bubbles forming and crepe no longer sticks to the pan. Flip it and heat the other side, also until it is no longer sticking.

For our crepes I spread a thin layer of cream cheese, then spread the orange whipped cream before rolling it up. They were so good, but I couldn't even eat three of them, they were that filling! Usually I can down about 5 or 6, so that just goes to show what a batch of heavy cream can do for the soul. 



No comments:

Post a Comment