May 12, 2013

Appreciation of Influential Women Day


What you have known as Mother's Day I have long known as Appreciation of Influential Women Day. My name for the day is perhaps not quite as easy to fit on a card, but the meaning is something I have honored for years. Every Mother's Day I feel pressed to express my appreciation for not only my life and blood mother, who is amazing and exactly the kind of mother I want to be, but also to all of the women who have influenced my life. They are my honorary mothers in many ways. They teach me good values. They are wonderful examples of light and faith. They work hard. They love. They cry. The have significance. They are all celebrated and cherished on this day. 

So I just want to do a little shout out to all those women. Thank you for being excellent neighbors and babysitters. Thank you for being stalwart, uncompromising friends. Thank you for being welcoming and fun aunts. Thank you for being supportive grandmothers. Thank you for being kind and sincere teachers. Thank you for being the best mom ever. I hope to emulate you. I hope to live up to those shining examples. I hope you know how important you are in my life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment