Jun 7, 2011

Writer’s Block: Donut You Think?

If you could be any type of pastry, muffin, or cupcake in the world, what kind would you be and why? Or would you prefer to be a doughnut?
 

This is definitely one of those questions that gets my saliva glands going. Any talk of muffins, cupcakes, pastries, and doughnuts is a subject to warm my very heart. But this question, I will confess, has me a little flummoxed. Granted, it is slightly easier than the "What is your favorite dessert" question, which I can never answer. That list, I assure you, is long, and choosing just one thing to whip out as my most favorite in the whole wide world seems too daunting a task. But this question, what would I BE as a dessert? Well, that is a sprinkle of an entirely different color, isn't it?

Now, if asked to choose what cookie I would like to be, that is easy. Snickerdoodle. Just saying it brings a smile to my face. "Snickerdoodle, snickerdoodle, snickerdoodle!" I really do love everything about the snickerdoodle. The combinations of flavor is the perfect blend of sweet and tart. I die for the creamy taste of the extra buttery dough that clings to the mixing bowl. The smell of these cookies, freshly baked, reminds me of Summer, and sun, and picnics, and green grass. Yep, no question, I would be a snickerdoodle cookie. Cinnamon, sugar, tartar, need I say more?

However, as far as pastry, muffin, cupcake,or donut goes, what am I? I can tell you, I love a good custard filled doughnut. But I also love the lush, velvet feel of a good Red Velvet cupcake. Then again, I can never deny a double chocolate, chocolate chip muffin for breakfast. Cream puff, and Danish, and eclair, oh my! And don't even get me started on the Mille-feuille or the tarts. Which one, which one?

I guess, if I were to pick a a dessert most like me it would have to be the Strawberry Napoleon. This is a fairly versatile dessert; you can add orange zest, drizzle it with chocolate, fill it with mousse or lemon pie filling, and it is still just as delicious. Usually this is a fairly good looking dessert, just like me; the best stuff is usually on the inside, just like me; and it can get pretty flaky, just like me. It goes great with casual summertime gatherings, but also works just as well for formal soirees. This dessert is always light and airy, and reminds me of something fairies would eat, but don't ask why. Yes, I am a Strawberry Napoleon. Now I just have to figure out how to hurry and make one. Yum!

1 comment:

  1. A chocolate covered cherry cupcake. Or a muffin from Tupelo's, my favorite bakery. Pure love, I tell you.

    ReplyDelete